Land Raised SalmonAbout Us
Kuterra salmon is raised on land in a closed aquaculture system on the northern tip of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. Our facility lets us create conditions that foster the best possible health for our fish. Our farmers' careful attention to detail and water quality results in a superior tasting, firm-fleshed fish.
Don't just take our word for it... try it for yourself!
Our Unique ProcessHealth Benefits for You
Kuterra Atlantic Salmon are grown in a facility that enables us to create the best possible environment for the fish to live and grow. Our fish are not treated with antibiotics or pesticides and we do not use hormones or harmful chemicals.
- Our fish are processed and ready for market within 36 hours of harvest for optimal freshness.
- Our fish are sustainable and traceable. We can tell you exactly where your fish came from, what it was fed, and how it was raised.
Kuterra's land-raised salmon has all the health benefits you expect:
- High in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats
- A good source of Vitamin-D and B-vitamins
- Rich in Antioxidants
Our Land Based FarmLand-Raised and Sustainable
Raising salmon on land is an environmentally responsible way to help meet the world’s growing demand for protein. It produces a healthy product without negatively impacting wild salmon populations or marine ecosystems.
- Kuterra's land-raised salmon are completely isolated from wild salmon, eliminating any concerns about the transfer of disease between the wild and farmed fish populations.
- Kuterra's aquaculture system reuses almost 98% of the water. You can learn more about the technology behind recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) here.
- Because Kuterra salmon are raised close to the West Coast markets we serve, the carbon footprint resulting from transporting our fish to market is low.
When you buy Kuterra land-raised salmon, you're part of the move to a more sustainable future. You're making a smart choice for yourself, your family, and the world around us.
Clean TastingThe Scientific Approach
Raising healthy fish requires a scientific approach. Through careful monitoring of our farm’s growing conditions, we have perfected the recipe for great tasting fish.
The water is our tanks is continuously recirculated, filtered, and oxygenated. It’s drawn from wells on the property and is clean and cold… perfect for Atlantic Salmon! Biofilters and Ultra-violet treatment of the water remove any organisms that could be harmful to the fish, disinfect the water, and eliminate the need for chemical treatment of the water. Additional filtration systems remove all solid wastes from the water. This waste is collected then composted for use as fertilizer.
KUTALA means salmon in the language of the 'Namgis people. TERRA means land in Latin. To us, KUTERRA means "salmon from the land". The Kuterra mission is to bring the most environmentally sound, tasty, and healthy farmed salmon to people who care about the food they eat and serve to their families.
Back in 2013, the 'Namgis people started Kuterra to show that land-raised salmon is the future of sustainable salmon farming. It's the way to keep wild salmon and the waters they live in separate from the farmed salmon, and it's the way to grow the best quality farmed Atlantic salmon. Now operated by Whole Oceans, Kuterra is located on Northern Vancouver Island, a kilometre from the ocean. Our farm team has years of training and expertise and is excited to show the world our Kuterra Atlantic salmon.
We have undergone the Monterey Bay Aquarium's rigorous sustainability assessment process, the most respected independent seafood ranking measures in the world. We achieved a Green ranking from Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch. We have also been designated a Best Choice by SeaChoice and Kuterra Salmon have also been designated as Ocean Wise.